– A Review of Kayak Annapolis
So I know all of my Baltimore (and surrounding area) friends are looking for something awesome to do this summer, right? It’s the end of June and you probably already exhausted your Netflix account and have just been lying around all day watching the World Cup. (But hey, there’s nothing wrong with that, I may be guilty as well, but after July 13th your schedule will free up.) So I am here to give you the most perfect idea to add to your summer bucket list. Why don’t your grab your boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend, or four-legged friend (okay, so you might have to check on that last one) and take a mini-road trip to our nation’s capital for a day of fun, sun, and kayaking! Make it a point this summer to visit Kayak Annapolis at Truxton Park and have a fantastic kayaking experience!
1. Kayaking is Kool. But seriously, if you’ve never been on a kayak, you need to change that as soon as possible. Whatever excuse you have is wrong, sorry. I promise you that the kayak won’t flip and submerge you under water (even if you can’t swim, you’ll be wearing a life jacket). I promise that a great white shark won’t leap from the surface and engulf you in one bite. And I promise that it is impossible to not have a good time. In addition, Kayak Annapolis offers awesome, sturdy, reliable, two-person kayaks, so you won’t even have to do all the paddling yourself. This also lends itself to the perfect opportunity for bonding time and team building skills with your spouse (and it’s cheaper than couples counseling). Jokes aside though, it’s a great feeling to glide across the surface in a brightly colored boat while taking in the beauty and peacefulness of the water and the life around it.
2. Hidden History. So I know that most of you don’t remember much that you learned in your high school history classes, so ya’ll could probably use a little refresher. What will make this kayak journey unique is that it’s also a guided tour of the capital of the great ol’ U.S. of A. As you’re cruising past the Annapolis Harbor and the United States Naval Academy, you will also be learning along the way, but don’t worry, this is the fun kind of learning, and there won’t be a final exam at the end. You will experience a whole new view of the town while floating down Spa Creek and hearing interesting facts and stories about iconic buildings, like the State House, and other landmarks that make up Annapolis. You’ll also get to kayak past some ginormous and grandeur yachts while wishing that you made anywhere near enough money to afford one (or while plotting out how you can meet and marry a handsome rich man, your choice). Regardless, I guarantee you won’t leave the tour without learning one or two fascinating new tidbits that you’ll be dying to share with your friends back home.
3. Greatest Guides. When you Kayak Annapolis, you’re promised the world’s greatest guides, and you are not going to be let down. If you love to laugh then get prepared for the corniest jokes and puns supplementing your history lesson. Your guide will also have a wealth of information about almost anything you want to know about the area around you, and they’ll be willing to answer any question you can muster up. You’ll never know that your fearless leader has probably had to repeat the same information multiple times a day, every day of the week, all summer long, because they will be just as enthusiastic and outgoing as if it was their first day on the job. In addition, for those of you who like to worry about worst-case scenarios, the Kayak Annapolis website reassures you that your guide will be certified in First Aid, CPR, and Aquatic Safety Management and approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. So I’d say you’re in good hands. If, actually when, you arrive for your kayaking day of fun and you get lucky enough to have Dustin as your tour guide, you’re in for a treat. His humor, wit, and knowledge will only add to your already amazing kayaking experience. Plus he’s a drummer in a band, so that automatically makes him cool, right?
(Speaking of, go check out his Baltimore-based rock band, Skies in Chaos, on iTunes, YouTube, Spotify, or other music media of your choice. You won’t be disappointed. Or check ‘em out one night that they’re playing downtown Baltimore. skiesinchaos.com/#gigs )
4. Storybook Start. Who doesn’t love a good love story? Kayak Annapolis is family owned and run by Kate and Pete, who met and fell in love in Hawaii! They share a passion for kayaking and will extend a warm welcome when you arrive for your tour. Their office is on a floating dock a few feet from shore and you just might believe that you’ve teleported to Hawaii. While you wait for the start of the kayaking experience of a lifetime, relax a bit with your toes in the sand or try your skills at Tiki Toss (warning, it’s addicting). And by the end of your session, you’ll feel right at home and will probably be begging for the tour to last longer. You might even start a piggy bank savings to purchase your own kayak. But if not, Kate and Pete will be more than happy to see you back for a second go around!
Bottom Line: Take a tour with Kayak Annapolis, you won’t regret it! Keep an eye out for LivingSocial or Groupon deals and plan a fun getaway to Annapolis. Don’t forget to leave time to stroll around downtown and enjoy a meal at one of the many delicious restaurants. I also recommend grabbing some fudge from Kilwin’s to snack on during the ride home.
Now if you don’t take my advice you aren’t allowed to complain that you’re bored this summer or that you didn’t do anything fun! I also just gave you a birthday present idea and a great date adventure, so you’re welcome.
For more information, check out their website www.kayakannapolistours.com
Twitter @kayak_annapolis, IG: kayakannapolis, or on Facebook!
“You deserve a good paddlin’!
What I Write About: